Next tour dates
Sep 24-Oct 3, 2022
Max. 10 people
1275€ per person. All taxes included.
Georgia is one of the best places in the world to enjoy one of the most spectacular natural phenomena on planet Earth, bird migration. Located in the southwest of the Republic of Georgia and on the shores of the Black Sea, Batumi channels the largest flow of migratory birds in the entire Palearctic, both raptors and passerines. The Batumi Raptor Migration is, in number and species, the third best place on the planet behind Mexico and Panama, to observe this natural phenomenon.
Every year Batumi Raptor Count, an NGO that tracks migration in the area, more than 1 million birds migrating south in summer-autumn (1,384,584 birds in 2014) with concentrations of up to almost 300,000 birds of prey in the same day. We have arranged the dates of our trip with the migration peak of the Steppe Buzzard, Lesser, Greater Spotted and Steppe Eagles. Hopefully we can enjoy the best migration day of the season!
On top of the Batumi raptor migration, on this trip we will go up to the high peaks of the Caucasus mountains in search of its endemic birds, such as the Caucasian Snowcock, the Great Rosefinch or the Caucasian Grouse.
In addition to being a fantastic country for birdwatching, Georgia remains a little visited destination, really quiet and fascinating. Its little-known culture and history, along with its rich gastronomy and traditions makes it an excellent destination to visit.
- Guide: Rafa Benjumea.
- Length: 9 days.
- Maximum number of participants: 10.
- Single Supplement: 150€
- Lodging: Local family houses. Double rooms with private bathroom.
- Food: excellent, traditional Georgian food has a great reputation for being varied and with high-quality ingredients.
- Weather: highly variable, alternating warm temperatures throughout the day with cold weather in the afternoon. Rains and low temperatures can occur especially in the Caucasus. Warm and rainwear clothes are highly recommended.
- Difficulty: Easy, short walks at a comfortable pace. In Batumi and Mestia, short minibus trips. The drive Batumi - Mestia takes about 6 hours with stops to observe birds on the way.