Next tour dates
September 5-11, 2021
Max. 7 people
1345€ per person (Taxes included)
The Strait of Gibraltar is one of the busiest raptor migration corridors on earth. Here you can also find the best bird migration in Spain. The autumn migration is the best to observe large numbers of raptors sea-crossing from Europe to Africa. Some of the most remarkable raptor species include: Black Kite (>80.000), Booted-Eagle (>10.000) Short-toed Eagle (>12.000), etc. This is also an optimal period to observe flocks of Black and White Storks on migration. Other raptors on migration during this period include Egyptian Vulture, European Honey-Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Montagu’s and Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Lesser Kestrel and Hobby.
In addition to observe the active raptor migration, on this Strait of Gibraltar Birding Tour we will explore the former Lagoon of La Janda. Here we will search for resident raptors such as the Spanish Imperial Eagle, Bonelli’s Eagle and Black-winged Kite. We will look for the reintroduced and critically endangered Northern Bald Ibis and will visit the only colony of Little Swifts in Europe, a recent coloniser from Africa.
On this tour we will also have the chance to visit Doñana Nature Reserve, specifically the one of the least visited areas of Doñana, on the east bank of the Guadalquivir River. This is one of the most rewarding birding sites in the province: White-headed Ducks, Marled Teals, and large numbers of waders and flamingos all occur here. We will also look for the very scarce Red-knobbed Coot.
Tarifa, the flagship city in the Strait of Gibraltar and the southernmost village on the continent, will be our base to explore the Strait of Gibraltar.
Last, but not least, this trip will take us to remarkable sightseeing spots, including the charming city of Ronda, Gibraltar and the Roman Archaeological site of Baelo Claudia.
- Guides: Javi Elorriaga and Yeray Seminario, local guides from Birding The Strait who are based in Tarifa.
- Length: 7 days.
- Maximum number of participants: 7.
- Single Supplement: 160€
- Lodging: Mesón de Sancho Hotel in Tarifa and Hotel Maestranza in Ronda.
- Food: excellent, traditional Spanish with some international food. Mesón de Sancho manages one of the most renowned restaurants in the region.
- Weather: warm temperatures throughout most of the trip. A jacket and a sweater are recommended for evenings. A rain jacket can be useful for the whale watching boat trip.
- Difficulty: easy, short walks and gentle pace. For the most part, short drives for the most part, with just a couple of days with drives over 1.5h.