Next tour dates
30th Oct – 2nd Nov., 2020
Hotel in Tarifa
Max. 14 people
420€. All taxes included.
Discovering the, still today, highly overlooked Griffon Vulture migration is the main target in this trip. Moreover, we will enjoy the migration of seabirds from Isla de las Palomas in Tarifa at the best time of the year. Additionally, we will explore the most spectacular landscapes of El Estrecho Natural Park. Finally, we will get to know the history and birdlife of La Janda region.
Certainly, the massive migration of Iberian Griffons to Africa is one of the least known aspects of the most fascinated and least known aspects on the species biology.
From late October, the Strait holds one of the biggest concentrations of vultures on earth. These are mostly juvenile birds born all over the Iberian Peninsula. As a result, immense flocks, often exceeding 1000 individuals, concentrate for several days in the seaside between Tarifa and Algeciras. This occurs in a daily basis until the specific atmospheric conditions allowing vultures fly over the ocean to reach Africa occur.
Sea-crossing the Strait of Gibraltar constitutes a huge effort for vultures, at time insuperable. Besides, it offers an unusual dramatic spectacle.
The All Saint´s long weekend is the right time of the year to observe the migration of sea-birds in the Strait too. The Isla de las Palomas, the southernmost tip of the continent, is the very best spot to observe them. This Will be a perfect opportunity to visit this interesting site, the Access to which is restricted. Cory’s and Balearic Shearwaters, Skuas, Gannets and Razorbills, will all show off in Good numbers.
La Janda, formerly was the largest lagoon in Spain. Nowadays, despite its complete drainage, it still holds an outstanding avian community. We will explore its rice paddies and meadows guided by Yeray and Javi. They are two of the ornithologists that better know the region. Moreover, they are directly involved in different projects aiming to restore the former splendour of La Janda.
- Guides: Javi Elorriaga and Yeray Seminario, local guides from Birding The Strait who are based in Tarifa.
- Length: 4 days.
- Maximum number of participants: max. 14
- Single Supplement: 45€
- Lodging: Hotel in Tarifa. Double or single rooms with private toilet.
- Food: All dinners at the hotel, lunches in the field (day 2 and 3) and in a local restaurant (day 4). Specific dietary requirement will be attended.
- Weather: Highly variable, ranging from mild to chilly temperatures. Layers of warm clothes needed.
- Difficulty: Very easy, short hikes at an easy pace and static observation from watch points. Short drives in 9 pax. minibuses.